Friday, August 12, 2011

End of the week.

We survived the week.  I had what seemed like a million things to do today but I managed to get them done and now I'm just going to take it easy the rest of the day.  Refuel.  Recharge.  Rest.

Regarding what we are doing for notebooking and other things .. I don't know what decision my husband has made about the math, Teaching Textbooks versus Life of Fred.  I will let you all know, dear readers, when I know.  (Oooh, it's like a cliffhanger, only, not as interesting. :-)  I haven't spent any money on curriculum at all.  For writing for my daughter, I'm using an old college textbook of my husbands and things off the internet.  I'm going to take her through every kind of writing I can think of or look up and she's going to save them for a notebook/portfolio.  She's got a beginning French program that I checked out of the library and I'll take it back in a couple of weeks and get her something else.  She's going to be continuing the guitar course on DVD from last year.  For my youngest, we're doing brain gym exercises to hopefully help his left and right brains connect better because he seems, from everything I've read, to be really right-brained.  I've printed out spelling lists off the internet and for now, he's visualizing them, trying to commit them to memory and spelling them verbally.  He also needs to work on cursive handwriting.  We'll do grammar together, recycling the Grammar with a Giggle book from last year.  Together, we are going to do science notebooking to start and then history.  For science notebooking this week, I've just told them to make notebook pages for mammals, amphibians and reptiles.  As for how they do it, I'm not picky and I'm not helpful.  I'm not going to research for them or print anything out for them.  They can look things up on the computer and print, cut and paste, they can draw, they can copy things out of books as long as they name their sources ... I'm leaving it up to them.  So far, I've been pleased with their efforts. 

1 comment:

Amy said...

Thanks for all the info.....I'm loving the writing ideas & I have a book that was handed down to me somewhere on the shelf that sounds like that...called 'If you want to teach your child to write.....' I just might pull that out & get some ideas going. Keep us updated here though, cuz I do find it inspiring to hear what others are doing & you seem to be SO in line with how we teach around here.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails