Monday, August 08, 2011

Beginning!?

We're starting school today.  I was talking to the other moms on the field trip the other day and several of them were making that their first day back to school.  It breaks our rule of not starting back until after my daughter's birthday, but since it was a fun and educational field trip, my daughter didn't mind.  My husband was planning to do some math assessments to see what he needs to order anyway, so we decided to just go ahead and actually start school today, beginning the math curriculum with the tests to see how much they retained from last year.  My husband is looking at 2 different math curriculum possibilities, Life of Fred, which the kids did last year and really liked (you know, as far as math goes) and Teaching Textbooks, which seems to be more thorough to the adult eye, but you never know.  Anyway, he's going to test them and as my youngest son says "If we do good, we get Fred and if we do bad, we get Teaching Textbooks".  I'm really not as prepared as I usually would be, but I think we'll be okay.  I wrote a checklist for the kids today and put it on the wall and we'll see how it goes.  If it doesn't go well, of course we'll change it. 

4 comments:

Donna said...

I wanted to ask you how does your husband go about teaching Life of Fred? Does he read it and then do worksheets ect.
Thanks
Donna
http://homeschoolingsunnyflorida.blogspot.com/

Fatcat said...

The kids read it on their own, work the problems and check each other's work. They do the work on Mondays, then have my husband look it over on Wednesday. They don't use worksheets, just do the problems in the book and write them in a notebook. Hope this helps!

Mother Mayhem said...

We're looking at the 5th of September as start up day. New literature books arrived yesterday, and there's a Rainbow order on its way too. :o)

:)De said...

We switched to LOF this summer and my 7/8th grader loved it and decided that she would use it in place of Switched On Schoolhouse. Have you guys ever used the Home Companion with them?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails