Sunday, May 15, 2005

Great Strides.

Home*School*Home

My daughter, who has only read 1 very small chapter book in her life is now on chapter 3 of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I guess she was waiting for a book she was actually interested in? I'm so proud I could pop! My youngest son who has insisted all year that he "can't read" picked up a tube of anti-itch cream yesterday and read the label. Not exactly the great American novel, but I'm thrilled. He's been able to read but it has been like "pulling teeth" all year to get him to read anything, until just recently. I feel like we have all made great strides this year. I'm thinking of not totally taking the summer off, but at doing one subject each day and then kind of unschooling the rest of the time. This probably will not make me popular with the kids, but we had such a hard time getting back after spring break, that I am afraid to take a complete break!

This week, we are going to study consumerism, money management and advertising. My youngest son is absolutely facinated with infomercials and will come telling me, "come see, come see, it's something you just have to buy!" whenever they are on, so he definitely needs a little consumer education. I'm going to use some of the stuff from this site. PBS GO

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails