Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Day 3.

I've got to say, I'm cautiously optimistic about the new block schedule that we are doing.  It seems to be going pretty well.  We did grammar and biology and I will say that we did get several days of grammar work done between my working and taking the state fair entries to the 4H office to drop off, but I also must confess that we did not get a week's worth of biology done.  We did about half an hour, reviewing some of the things we studied last year.  If you've been reading this blog, you know that last school  year, after my father passed away in January, a lot of our subjects got put on hold and biology was one of them, so we're doing it now.  By my calculations I think we should do at least a couple of hours of biology reading and notebooking every week but since this is the first week and since we have not quite gotten back into the rhythm of it, we're going to excuse ourselves today.  No biggie.  We'll get to it. 

We had our meeting with the homeschool group last night to plan the next 12 weeks or so, until Christmas.  It feels funny to plan Christmas parties when the heat index is 105, but we did it.  We planned a field trip each month, a dinner together each month, 4H meetings, a back to school party, a harvest party and some other things.  I love my homeschool group.  We've got a couple of new families this year and I'm really enjoying getting to meet the new people too.  That's the small group we're in.  We're also in a huge not-quite-as-local group about an hour drive away and I'm debating whether to continue to be a high school activiities leader in that group.  I kind of feel like they need someone who can host events at their home and with me living out of the city, it's really not practical for me to do it.  Still debating that one, because I really don't mind planning activiites.

All in all, it's been a good first week.

1 comment:

Mother Mayhem said...

All sounds good to me! :o)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails