Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Cultural notes.

I'm reading a bunch of books by British writer Katie Fforde and enjoying them very much. After about the 8th one, I've started to notice that the British way of saying things is kind of creeping into my usual vocabulary and I'm saying things like "I need to go to the loo." or "Brilliant!" and I'm pretty sure I called the dogs "daft" this morning at 5:00 a.m. when they wanted out. (Way before coffee and therefore, way before complete consciousness). It's funny how those words are just coming to my mind. Tomorrow morning I'll be in hospital (at least briefly). I wonder why they don't say "in the hospital"? I guess they wonder why we say an extra word, which really isn't necessary. Sometimes the cultural references go completely over my head and I have no idea what they are talking about for a paragraph or two!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails