Sunday, August 10, 2008

Working/ Read Alouds.

I'm working this weekend. The weather is nice and I'd really like to take this opportunity to go camping or at least pretend camping, but I don't think there's any way I could get time, with all this work. (Pretend camping is when you go, set up your tent, eat camping food, swim, play, etc. and then come home before bed time and sleep at home!) I guess I could take my laptop with me. Some campsites do have internet access these days. Nah. I'd rather stay home than work outside with the mosquitoes.

Since I don't have much to report today, not much going on, I'm going to give reviews of some of the read-alouds we've done lately. Actually most of them have been audio books, so if I say "we listened to" that's why I'm using that phrase.

Last night we finished Charlie Small Gorilla City. Very weird little book. It didn't end really either so we're supposed to get the next one in the series to find out what happened. My 10-year-old wants to but I think he's the only one. The rest of us don't really want to carry on this adventure. It's just weird.

Last week we listened to Ygraine the Brave by Cornelia Funke. It was good. The younger kids liked it better than the teen and I did. It was entertaining though it seemed for a younger audience than the other book we read by her, The Thief Lord. I think we might read some of her other books as well, since we liked these 2.

Hank Zipzer "story of my life" or something like that. It's the latest Hank Zipzer book. These are co-written by Henry Winkler and he says that Hank is himself as a child. They are very entertaining and funny. We all like these.

Before these 3, we read "Esperanza Rising" by Pam Munoz Ryan and it was excellent. It is based on the life of her grandmother. We all enjoyed this one. There was one scene where I thought something very bad was going to happen to a kitten in the book and I would have to put my daughter into therapy after reading it, but it turned out okay.

When we go to the libary next, we'll need another book to read. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Freakmom said...

Trying to think of some. Have you read Flush and Hoot by Carl Hiaasen? I think you've said you have read Redwall. I'll keep thinking.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails