Monday, August 11, 2008

The second day of school.

I'll admit it. I'm crabby today. I had to work yesterday and I was so sleepy yesterday afternoon that I did a total no-no and drank a cup of coffee around 3:00 p.m. Apparently, caffeine takes at least 12 1/2 hours to clear from my system so I can sleep. In the past, I could and did frequently fall asleep in the middle of drinking a cup of coffee. Anyway, I was up until 3:30 a.m. this morning and so did not really wake up raring to go, shall we say, this morning. The kids are working on their lists and I've mostly got mine done, but it's been a very frustrating morning. The youngest couldn't get holes punched in his math pages right, then he got confused about place value. There was some whining. I'm not sure how we are going to get a handle on that. I doubt he will make it through the day with all his screen time intact.

My daughter whines the totally opposite way. She asked me how many pages of math to do today and I said "one" and she whined, "Only one?" I said "Okay, 14." Then she said, "I don't want 14 but can we at least do 2?" I agree to this and then hear my son say "Why do we have to do 2?" Is it asking too much that they at least agree on what they want to whine about?

Sigh.

1 comment:

Henry Cate said...

I remember hearing once that it takes about two weeks to start a new habit. That is way salesmen will often let you use something for two weeks, to "test it out." Because after two weeks you've gotten so use to having the item, that you have trouble not using it.

With that it mind we know that the first two weeks back to homeschool are always hard. It takes a lot of energy to get the momentum going again. But then on the third week our daughters are more motivated.

Good luck.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails