Thursday, October 26, 2006

A few thoughts.

Just a few unrelated things that have happened around here this week, in no particular order.

Tonight, we were driving to my mom's and youngest son looked out the window of the car and saw some halloween decorations in someones yard. He said "Look, they've got the Grim Reaker in their yard." Lol.

Last night, also in the car, I asked my daughter how her afternoon playdate had gone. She thought I asked about the church meeting she had gone to. She said "We made paper dolls and then she talked for a long time." She meant the teacher of the group. I thought she meant her little 10 year old friend. I said "She talked for a long time? What did she talk about?" She said "Bosnia." I know I was getting kind of a confused look on my face. I said "Is she learning about Bosnia in school?" She said "She doesn't go to school." I said "I mean homeschool, is she learning about Bosnia in homeschool?" and my daughter said "What? Ms. Becky's not homeschooled!" We got a good laugh over her 10 year old friend talking at length about Bosnia, Lol. I just couldn't picture it.

I have noticed recently something interesting about my constant struggles to get the kids to exercise and be active. A couple of months ago I was telling them to go outside for an hour and they were resisting it. They didn't want to go outside. So I made them do 30 sit ups, 30 jumping jacks, 30 leg lifts etc., about half an hour worth of exercise. They did that for about a month and now all I hear is "Can we go outside instead?" Of course I say yes. *wink*

I've also limited all screen time to after the sun sets. That has made them do a lot more active play. Hopefully, this time I'll stick to it better. I'm very good at making a new rule like that and buckling when they complain to much, so wish me luck or determination or whatever it takes. My youngest son has 1 educational DVD that I do let him watch during the day and he's been watching that more, which is something I want so I'm happy about that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! You sound like me and the new rules and then stepping down with it!!
Love the idea about the exercise. I sent mine out yesterday to chase the dog (dog loves it) and 1 minute later they came in. They were out of breath and too tired to do any more. Granted they both have colds, but come on!! I am going to steal your idea and try it.
I tape Magic School Bus and let them watch it while eating lunch. THen it's time to just finish eating and outside time. Some days, I forget to time it and they watch 2 shows!! LOL!!
Good luck and if you want we will ask you daily!!!

Funky-Redhead said...

ha Ha! YOU'VE OUT FOXED EM' AGAIN!
I love it when that happens...it seems so rare the older they get!

Anonymous said...

Rosie never wants to go outside... Until it is rainy or snowy... *LOL*

(Grim Reaker? *TeeHee*)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails