Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Money / Frugal Fun.

Home*School*Home


Money is a very complicated subject. I used to be very much a spender and would shop to relieve stress. I called it retail therapy. Since my husband lost his job and was out of work for a while, my retail therapy has changed somewhat. I'm more careful with money now. I still like to shop, I'm just a lot more careful about spending. I shop at Goodwill a lot. I shop at Dollar Tree a lot. I go to the library and check out DVDs for free. (It feels like shopping!)

I don't think that just because you are living frugally, you can't have any fun. The field trip that we went on the other day cost very little. The wildlife preserve was free and very cool. The museum was listed as free in a book I saw it in, but the price had went up to $2.00 for admission. Still that was okay.

It is funny to me that people won't talk about money much, myself included. We don't talk about how much we have, how much we make, how much we spend. In a way it mysterious to me, but in another way, I understand. Other people can make judgements about how you spend the money and won't agree on what you think is important enough to spend money on.

For example, I think family vacations are important. I think getting away with members of my family and extended family are worth it. Since our financial problems began, my husband has wanted me to totally stop planning any vacations, but I disagree. I think they are treasures of memories and fun and worth every single penny. Last year, we went to a campground for 3 days and 2 nights, swam in the pool, slid down the waterslide, (not me!), saw a mama duck on her nest, participated in campground run activities like bubble blowing contests and scavenger hunts and had a great time. We spent under $200.00 and the memories are priceless. My daughter had never gotten to have an overnight with her cousin before that. They were in little girl heaven and it was worth every penny.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails