Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Homeschooling.

The fact that we are homeschoolers and not unschoolers means that at some point today, I'm going to have to make my youngest son put down his book that he is reading and do his math and other school work.  It seems kind of counter-intuitive to stop a kid from reading, but balance is key, I guess.  He does need to do other things.  That's one thing I seem to be lacking in my life right now, balance, as I adjust to working more hours.  It's like a mobile and sometimes I can get it balanced for a couple of seconds, but that's all.  Throwing all these extra work hours onto the mobile of my life has caused it to become quite unbalanced and me to become quite cranky.  While I was supposed to be working this morning, I was doing some reading about education and found this article  from Time Magazine with this quote in it.

"the Phi Delta Kappa/Gallup poll, showed that while only 17% of those asked would grade the nation’s public schools overall as an A or B, 79% would give one of those grades to their oldest child’s school" 

Interesting.  I think I was probably one of those people when we were public schooling.  I thought my local school was okay but I didn't want to send my oldest to the middle school that was further away and that's one of the reasons we started homeschooling. 

Can anyone believe how quickly this month has gone?  Tomorrow is December the first!!!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails