Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Tired Tuesday.

I started out tired today.  I am trying something new on Monday nights, which is volunteering at a hospital NICU.  I went and held and soothed babies for a few hours last night.  It was underwhelming and overwhelming at the same time.  Most of the babies were quiet, so I spent a lot of time looking for something to do, but when one of them needed me, it was nice to be there.  I got to hold one little guy for quite a while.  The lady who gave us the tour said that some of the parents go back to work while their babies are in the NICU with plans to take their time off when the baby finally gets to come home and the nurses are stretched a little thin, so sometimes they need people to do non-medical things like holding, soothing and fetching things.  I did a little bit of each.  The worst part, but I know it is necessary, is the constant, constant, constant hand washing.  My hands got tired of it, but I won't neglect doing it.  As to why I am doing this?  I don't know.  I guess I'm searching for some meaning and purpose since my kids are getting so big and really don't need me as much.   I don't know if I'll continue it, but it might be therapeutic for me to give to others (it usually is) so I'm going to try it for a while and see how it goes.  I might need to switch to Thursdays because doing it after work was pretty tiring.  I think everyone should do some volunteering at least once in their lives.  Here's a book to make finding a position easier.  Make a Difference

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails