Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Report from yesterday.

Yesterday was busy but fun.  Okay, let me rephrase that.  It started out not fun, because work was horrible yesterday, but it got better as the day went on.  4H went reasonably well.  The Thanksgiving Mad-Libs were fun.  The cranberry salad the kids made was tasty.  The only problem was that with the mosaics the stick glue that we owned had dried up and we had to use liquid glue and it was quite a bit more difficult to work with, with the paint chips, which are cardstock, basically.  The kids did them with very few complaints (actually, now that I think about it, all of the complaints were from MY sons.  Hmm.)  Anyway, some of the kids came up with some really good looking mosaics, some didn't finish on time and some did some really basic things like just their initials which weren't very artsy, but seemed to make them happy. 

The cranberry salad actually has kind of a funny story.  The recipe I found on Cooks.com said to use 1, 12 ounce pack of fresh cranberries, 2 teaspoons of honey, 1/2 cup walnuts, 2 oranges and 2 apples.  But in the 2 stores we looked in, we could not find fresh cranberries.  We ended up having to buy canned ones with high fructose corn syrup.  I figured that these cranberries would not need the honey so I didn't get any.  I had also read a recipe that called for pineapple and one that called for marshmallows, so I bought canned cranberries, 2 oranges, 2 honeycrisp apples, a bag of walnuts, a can of pineapple and a bag of marshmallows.   Then, mysteriously, when I got to the 4H office, the apples had disappeared and when I got home, they were in my fridge.  As I said, Very Mysterious.  Anyway, the recipe got modified, out of necessity, quite a bit but was quite tasty.  We made 2 batches and as a group, ate every single bite.  A couple of people even took copies of the recipe home.  :-)

We were also able to plan the next 2 months of 4H and 2 of the other moms are going to teach, so I'm off until February!  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails