Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Homeschool Planning.

Home*School*Home
I have the KONOS curriculum for this fall and we've kind of already started on it, by reading Swiss Family Robinson. It is one of the recommended books. Now I'm off in search of a math curriculum. I'm really not sure where to turn for this. My youngest child loves math and wants to talk about it and work on math problems in his head all day long. My daughter is pretty good at math, but it isn't one of her favorite things to do. My older son came out of public school with a math phobia. He believes that he is not good at it and will never be good at it so why try? I'm not sure what to do with him.

While I was searching, I did find this site which looks good. Math Worksheet Site.

3 comments:

Ineke said...

Although i am not a homeschooler, i do think about it from time to time because i have a very nosy 4 yr old, who, combined with his babbling 2yr old sis and almost 6 yr old brother can make me wet my pants for laughing or from time to time make me silent coz his questions are so deep and I sometimes wonder if homeschooling isn't a better option to follow that interests instead of pushing everyone into a system that they have to follow.
Sorry.
Rambling on. I'll keep it short now.
Love your posts.
Love your kids.

ChristineMM said...

A great resource, short, fast read and cheap is Ruth Beechick's "Easy Start in Math". It is also bundled with her reading and language arts booklets under the name "The Three R's". I recommend all three and Amazon discounts that bundle back for less than $10 (as I said, cheap). The math booklet is great and outlines how to teach kids basically from birth through the end of grade 3. You can use her information (as two of my friends did) to teach math without a curriculum. It also serves as kind of a road map and explanation of how kids brain's process math. The stages of thinking matched to developmental stages are outlined. It is a great resource.

I am a firm believer in first introducing manipulatives based math then move on to memorization of facts with doing figuring on paper.

We use Math U See and love it! However, each child is unique so you may choose something else.

I hated Miquon, too much prep work and way too much involvement on my part.

If you find out your child's learning styles that may help guide you to a curriculum.

A bunch of my friends love Singapore's workbooks.

Good luck with the search!
www.thethinkingmother.blogspot.com

Fatcat said...

Hi Dutchie, Thanks for visiting and for the nice comments. Homeschooling is great, maybe you should try it! (Sorry, I try to convert everyone!)

Hi Christine. Thanks for the resources. The problem is, the child with the math phobia, whom I worry the most about is going into 7th grade. He can do the basic 4 operations but if I try to introduce more, he closes down and believes that he can't do it. I may need to look into Singapore. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails