Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Duo

We have a card game, which is kind of like Uno, I guess, but it is called Duo. My youngest son loves to carry the cards around and talk people into playing this game with him. This morning, he talked his father into playing but forgot to tell him a couple of important rules and before they played, the little one "personalized" the deck so that he would have all the wild cards. The little one won, of course, but not by as much as one would think. Daddy's pretty smart too. We've had a few talks about how what one person might call "personalizing" the deck other people might call it "stacking" the deck, otherwise known as cheating ...he still does it, he just tells people up front that the deck is "personalized." This means that his siblings won't play with him and he has to find a kind adult to play, usually grandma, but sometimes mom or dad. He's been trying to teach grandma to play chess, but somehow, she hasn't caught on. You should hear the explanations ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

My intention is not to spam your blog, but I came across it and you're quite a "real" writer!

My name is Crystal Sharp and I am currently a graduate student at Regent University in Virginia. I am a product of homeschooled education from K-8, small private education 9-10 and huge public education from 11-12.

I'm enrolled in a "tutorial" class this summer that is much like homeschooling in that I've created my own curriculum and have assigned myself a paper topic. I am only guided by a "tutor," a professor at the university.

The subject of my research is the use of internet in homeschooling, specifically the use of collective or individual blogging. I would be grateful if you would fill out the following survey:

1. What is your relationship to the children?
2. How many children, what ages?
3. How long have you been homeschooling?
4. How do you use the internet for educational purposes?
5. Do you limit the amount of time the children are on the computer (even for educational purposes)?
6. Are you familiar with blogs? What is your perception of blogs?
7. Do any of the children have blogs? If they expressed interest, would you permit them to have a blog? If so, under what circumstances?
8. Do you think individual blogs could be useful to homeschooled individuals or the homeschooling community?
9. Do you think community blogs could be useful to homeschooled individuals or the homeschooling community?

10. May I contact you with further research questions? Please provide your e-mail address:

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Crystal Sharp
Regent University

Fatcat said...

1. Mother.
2. 3 children, ages 6, 8 and 12.
3. I've been homeschooling since August 2004, so almost 1 year.
4. I print a lot of things off of the internet and we use it for research. I subscribe to the edhelper site.
5. I limit the kids computer time, but it is really difficult to do, especially with my preteen.
6. I am familiar with blogs. I enjoy reading and writing them.
7. My children do not have a blog. I would make their blogs be more private than mine is.
8. I think blogs can have a lot of uses for homeschoolers. We could use a blog for notebooking (my new interest), for keeping in touch with other homeschoolers, for sharing curriculum ideas and reviews.
9. Same answer as #8.
10. I'd rather not post my email address here. If you post yours, I'll respond.

Thanks for reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails