Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Kentucky State Fair 2012.

We went yesterday to the state fair.  It is an excused absence in Kentucky for school kids, I guess since it happens in late August and most of the school districts start back in early August, they kind of have to.  Anyway, we went.  We left our home at 1:00 p.m. and did not return until 11:30 p.m.  It was long but it was very good.  They have stopped giving out the big booklets that tell you when all the shows are, so we weren't as organized in our approach to the fair.  We didn't know what shows were when, so we only saw one show.  Then we kind of wandered around and looked at things, ate fudge, sampled the dips, got a really good deal on yarn, tasted country ham and sorghum, saw the animals, climbed in the TARC bus, rode rides, toured the house they build inside the fairgrounds each year, got a massage, had a stare down with an owl, put on drunk driver goggles and attempted to play corn hole, and marveled at the fun food offerings like fried Oreos, fried Kool-Aid and pork butt on a stick, which makes me laugh.  We went and looked at my daughter's 4H entries to the state fair.  She had 5 entries and won 4 red ribbons and 1 white.  I think she was disappointed she didn't get a blue.  I was really hoping the crocheted mat she made would win something big, because it was very cool.  Then, we had a picnic in our car and went to the Santus Real / Newsboys free concert.  It was really, really good.  Now I can barely walk.  I have sore muscles in my legs and shoulders and a really giant blister on my big toe.  It was fun though.


3 comments:

:)De said...

That sounds like so much fun. I have not been to a state fair in awhile. what is sorghum?

Fatcat said...

it's some kind of a sweet syrup that kind of tastes like honey but is made from a grain. That's about all I know. :-)

Amy said...

Oh wow....I'm jealous that you got to hear Sanctus Real & Newsboys!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails