Friday, July 22, 2011

Young?

The argument has been made and I tend to agree that our current school systems are pushing academics too early, when the kids are too young and thereby stressing out the children and frequently leaving little boys behind.  Here's a good article about it.  I think that it is normal for some kids not to read until later than 6.  My youngest did not read well until age 10.  We didn't push him and now he loves to read.  I think being pushed to read too soon can just kill the love of reading for some kids.  I also think that kids need more recess and more free play than some of them are getting.  Play is a child's work.  It's how they figure out the world.  I know there are times that I need to process things and kids process things through play. 

1 comment:

Anna said...

Thank you for this! Just today I was planning out preschool for my 4.5 year old boy and wondered why I needed to be doing this. He is still so young! I think I will focus on the playing aspect of learning and go from there. Thanks again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails