Monday, July 18, 2011

Violence/bullying, etc.

I have had people tell me that they don't think my kids will be able to withstand bullying when they become adults because they are not undergoing any bullying now.  I can't see into the future of course, but I think having a strong sense of self and a good idea about how people should be treated will help them.  I don't really think that adults run into problems with bullying the way kids do.  If you are on a job and someone hits you or threatens you, this is dealt with in a different way that it is for a kid at school where it is thought of as normal.  Charges may be filed.  People may be fired from their jobs for harassment.  Restraining orders can be placed.  If you are harassed at a job and you can't get it stopped through the normal channels, you can quit the job.  Kids just can't quit school without their parents permission and quite often feel trapped and hopeless.  Once when my son was being treated for his broken ankle, one of the nurses in the office asked me a bunch of questions about homeschooling.  It seems that her daughter had attempted suicide due to bullying and now was being homeschooled.  I helped her all I could.  I don't know for sure if the kids are missing out on some valuable toughening-up experiences, but I don't think so. 

1 comment:

Kim said...

I don't think your kids are missing out on anything by not being bullied! That's crazy. Bullying should not be a part of life, and you're right - if an adult runs into a bully situation in life, it would be handled differently.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails