Friday, March 25, 2005

An Introduction

I am a mom of 3 kids, boy age 12, girl age 8, boy age 6. I've been married for a long, long time to their Dad. I work at home as a medical transcriptionist and as of this year, we school at home too. I decided to spend at least 1 year schooling at home for my 12-year-old since he wasn't ready to go to middle school and I wasn't ready for him to go. We ordered a curriculum but didn't like it so we sold it on Ebay and started off on our own. I printed the World Book typical course of study for 6th grade and we started studying world history in depth. We were having a great time. The other 2 kids, in first and third grades at public school, especially the younger one, wanted to homeschool too. We thought about it for about 2 days and then jumped in. We have not regretted it at all. It's been such a fun year! We're doing unit studies and kind of making things up as we go. We may buy a curriculum next year but then again, we might not.

It is funny, because I never thought I'd be a homeschooler. I guess having a friend who was doing it kind of made me believe we could do it, and here we are.