Friday, March 25, 2005

Endless possibilities and whining.

The kids are kind of whiny today. I console myself by thinking that it is Good Friday and they'd be home and whining even if they were in public school and we wouldn't have been able to take Thursday afternoon off to go to a movie and Wednesday afternoon off for Easter shopping. That is probably the thing I like best about homeschooling. We can have school on Sunday afternoon if we want and not have it on Monday morning. As long as we get in 185 days a year, the actual days we do school are up to us. So far this year, I think we have about 120 days in (just guessing, without looking at my attendance records.)

The other thing that I love about homeschooling is the possibilities. We can take a field trip, even overnight. We can pursue pretty much any subject we are interested in, for as long as we want. I'm thinking of doing a unit study on the Animorphs series of books that my older son loves and using them to teach geography as we try to decide what state in the U.S. the Animorphs live in (the books don't tell, but give clues) and science as we learn about animals, classifications and DNA. I think I could incorporate some math, adding up the number of morphs that each person has and graphing them. It could include reading as we would read the books aloud and art would be easy, inspired by the different settings of the books even in other planets. Oh yeah, and we could study the solar system more in depth, get into figuring out how far away the planets are ...

Homeschooling has endless possibilities and that makes it exciting, even when whiny days happen.

6 comments:

Fatcat said...

I only MT about 20-25 hours a week right now. I admit it is hectic, but my two older kids can work independently as long as they have assignments.

I give each kid a daily plan/checklist and my youngest and I go through his together and the older two go through theirs on their own. I get up in the morning about 7:30, type for an hour to an hour and a half, then get the kids started on school. I usually finish working on school by about 1:00 p.m. and I go to work. The kids usually have a few things to finish after that, which they do while I'm working. Of course, I do come out from time to time and nag them. I usually work from 1:00 to about 5:00 though my schedule is flexible. If we want to go to the playground or something in the afternoon, I work more in the morning or evening.

I'm off on Sundays and Mondays and I work Tuesday through Saturday. Admittedly, it is kind of hectic.

Fatcat said...

p.s.
I am trying to work more than 25 hours, but with gymnastics, grocery, housework, church stuff etc., I can't seem to fit more in.
:-)

Anonymous said...

Love your intro! I wouldn't know that friend, would I? If it just happened to be someone I know extremely well, I bet you thought to yourself, "Well, if someone as spacey as ____ could do it, I KNOW I could!" LOL!

Fatcat said...

Yes, you are the friend!

Fatcat said...

P.S.
I don't think of you as "spacy". That is the word I use for myself.

Anonymous said...

We seem to be two of a kind.... But I am not juggling all that you are. I am constantly amazed at your ability to work and home school at the same time. You go, girl!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails