Tuesday, March 31, 2015

The fourth scrap-ghan is done.


This is technically the fourth one being done in our house since we learned of the scrap-ghan concept from my friend Amy.  :-)  This is the one my daughter did.  She is much better at crocheting and counting stitches and all of that and so she added in some ripples, which is cool.  Also, she added in a row of white or very light yellow quite often, which kind of changes the whole vibe from the more intensely colored scrap-ghans that I have been doing.  It's beautiful.  She also did a squiggly blue/green row on my scrap-ghan that I am working on with mom.   

So, what are we going to do with all of these afghans?  A lady at mom's assisted living asks me that every time she sees us working on it.  We already have a bunch of afghans around the house from when mom and my mother-in-law were in their afghan making phases.  What are we going to do with 4 more?  The first one, which is kind of ugly and beautiful at the same time and very shabby chic since I kept changing yarns mid-row and wove the ends in, but they all came back out ... it's on my bed.   It makes me happy when I look at it.  The second one which is much prettier, since we did complete rows and made a fringe on the sides, is on mom's bed at the assisted living facility.  She helped a lot in making that one and she's very proud of it.  The third one, pictured here, which is in progress right now, I am not sure what we are going to do with.  Mom's participation has been less on this one since she's not been feeling good lately and I have been crocheting like a crazy woman on it.  It may be the last one mom is able to work on at all and therefore, I am treasuring her contributions to it, never pulling out her stitches even if they are doubled or crooked.  :-(  It is a beautiful thing and people have seen it sticking out of my bag when I am carrying it with me and asked how much I will sell it for.  I am not sure, in the future, if I make one all on my own I may sell it, but not this one.  :-)  

There is some value in making them, even if we never do anything with them, because needlework has mental health benefits.  

To tie this to homeschooling, since this is a homeschooling blog, here is an interesting study on how knitting can help kids do better in school.    Maybe I need to learn to knit soon.  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails