Thursday, October 14, 2010

Thinking.

I'm thinking today.  Can you hear the gears whirring?   I've been thinking about homeschooling while going about my Thursday chores.   It's my day off work and I always feel that I should get a ton of stuff done, but I rarely do.  I have been able to check a few things off my list.  I called the oral surgeon about the wisdom tooth extraction and we are thinking about maybe postponing that until after the first of the year so that we will have better dental insurance.  I'm not sure exactly what to do.  I need to find out if our health insurance pays for wisdom tooth extractions and go from there.  I called and scheduled dentist appointments for myself and the 2 youngest kids.  Fun, fun, fun. 

I've taken the garbage down, made a grocery list and gathered coupons and also have been planning 4H for next week.  It's supposed to be home-ec but we've got some boys in there who are afraid it will be too feminine for them, so I'm thinking of doing something on the science of cake baking and bake a cake in a mug.  Can't go wrong with chocolate cake, can you?  We might also make some ice cream. That's science-y too, right?  And yummy.  My sweet tooth is working a bit overtime this week, can you tell?  I found a recipe called "fudge pie" and modified it to be gluten free and  have made it twice this week.   Oh my goodness it is good.   There is a lot of butter in it and it's terrible for you and I really  need to stop making it but before I do, I'll share the yumminess and the fatteningness with all of you.  I found it on All Recipes

Fudge Pie.
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup gluten free Bisquick.
  • 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  2. Beat together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, butter or margarine, eggs and vanilla in a medium-size bowl.   Put in pie pan you've sprayed with non-stick spray.
  3. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until set. Allow to cool to room temperature. 
Fudge pie relates somewhat to what I've been thinking about as well.  I've been reading the homeschooling book and trying to come up with a way to describe it that is unique and I've thought about nutrition.  We can feed our kids all kinds of junk and they still will grow because that's what kids do, and we can put them in a poor educational environment and they still will grow up but is that what's best for them?   I can't figure out how to express it well.  I'd like to condense it into a memorable quote.  Can anyone help me out here?

In looking around I did find a homeschooling quote that I like very much.

Home schooling is a very old way of doing things. If you look at any of the bills in your wallet or the coins in your pocket, they all have a picture of a homeschooler on them. - William Lloyd

We are taking a tiny fall break, yesterday and today.  We're doing well with the number of school days and right on target to be halfway done by Christmas, if nothing comes up, which it probably will ... 

1 comment:

Carol said...

Glad to see that there is someone else out there checking themselves. I am referring to your comment by Christmas should be half way done. I too do that and sometimes my friends think I am crazy to keep checking. But I do not want to be so far behind and keep playing catch-up.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails