Thursday, February 08, 2007

Whoops, I did it again.


Yesterday, I didn't get my list done and the kids got the day off. I hate it when that happens. I begged for mercy because I got a call from my employer and had to type a stat dictation and it took a long time to download, but I got no mercy from my cruel, heartless children. I finished my list at 11:32, instead of 11:00. They thoroughly enjoyed their day off. I've given them a daily 3:00 p.m. deadline and usually I let them go until 3:30 or 4:00 but no more. I'm not giving them any slack. If they're not done by 3:00 they are grounded for the remainder of the day. Every time they look at me today, I say "No slack!" Silly, I know, but hey, they didn't give me a break yesterday! Fair is fair. They need to learn time management anyway.

Of course they know that any days they miss this winter will have to be made up at the end of the school year because Kentucky state law requires 180 days of instruction, but they don't care. I remember when I was a kid, knowing that I'd have to make those snow days up did not take any of the joy out of the snow for me.
I've decided that since I've mostly had success with my morning list, only missing 2 days since November 12, that I'm going to make myself an afternoon list, so I can (hopefully) remember to get the little details done, kind of like the Flylady's morning and evening routines. I've always just winged it, but I forget to do things sometimes and hopefully, this will help. I'm excited about being a little more organized! It's very unusual for me.

Reasons I'm glad we are homeschooling for today: I couldn't do this whole list thingy if the kids were in public school because I couldn't give them a day off.

Reason #2 for today, while I'm thinking of it: We don't have hours of homework at night. When we're done at 3:00, we're totally done.

Another picture from the aquarium trip, just for the fun of it.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

2 days? Definitely a success! *Yay*

We haven't had school all week. I can hear Emily now when we have to make that time up! *LOL*

Anonymous said...

You are such a hoot!! I couldn't do the list thing... I would schedule way to much for all of us!!!
Love the pictures!!
NO SLACK!!! I may try that saying!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails