Monday, April 30, 2012

First Jobs.

My son came home happy and excited from his first day of the job.  He went through orientation and safety training.  He's actually going to be doing 2 different things, switching back and forth so that might make it easier or less boring.   He actually starts the job tomorrow.  I remember from my hospital job a couple of years ago that the training part bears no resemblance to the actual job part and day 3, when I actually started the job itself, was when I realized that I hated it.  :-)  But, he's not me (thank goodness) and maybe he'll like it, but not so much that he'll give up college for it, if you know what I mean.  

My first job was in a restaurant.  I worked as a cook and then as a dishwasher, about 15-20 hours a week, after school and on weekends.  I made less than minimum wage because they paid us all as if we were waitresses, and assuming we'd get tips, which you didn't if you were washing the dishes, so I made very, very little money.  Still, the money I did make was nice to have.  I wonder sometimes how those past prices and those past wages, compare really to now.  The prices are higher but so are the wages.  Sometimes I'll be debating on buying something and I'll calculate how long my husband and I would have to work to pay for it, which is probably kind of weird.

The younger 2 kids procrastinated about school today, but then finished 1 minute and 3 minutes after the deadline, so I didn't ground them.

1 comment:

Donna said...

That's great your son started his new job! I hope he enjoys it, Keep us updated on how it goes for him. Kelly wants to get a job at our local Game Stop Video Store but I keep telling her first she has to learn to drive : ) Kids!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails