Wednesday, October 29, 2008

So far, so good.




I seem to be feeling a bit better this morning. (Of course I haven't done much yet!) I managed to make it to the homeschool meeting last night then came home and took my pain pill, read to the kids and went to sleep. We finished reading "Peter and the Secret of Rundoon" last night, which is the last of the Peter and the Starcatchers trilogy. Great books. We enjoyed them very much, even the older son who said he didn't want to read anything about Peter Pan. Now they want to read the original. I've never read it. I wonder how it will stack up to these newer novels? A few years ago we read the original Swiss Family Robinson and although it was good, I was disappointed. The style of writing has changed in the few hundred years since that was written.

In homeschooling news, I seem to have perfected the method of getting the kids to homeschool themselves. Yesterday when I was in such pain, I walked through the kitchen and they were in there doing science experiments that they'd seen on Fetch, having finished their morning lists, which include all the basics of math, reading, writing, exercise and chores. We were supposed to have a session of working on their novels yesterday and we should have looked at the protozoa (s?) under the microscope to see if there are any yet but we'll do all of that today. I've learned not to sweat the small stuff. If we don't get to it now, we'll get to it later. Even if we don't get to that specifically, they'll learn something today. They are interested in so many things and they will read, look up, discuss, ask and experiment on their own because they love learning.

Homeschooling is so cool.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The style of writing by J.M. Barrie is vastly different from the Barry/Pearson novels.

What else is vastly different is their tales. They contradict his original stories. A LOT. How can they be a prequel when they have all the facts wrong?

There is only one Peter Pan adventure that's faithful and also based on Barrie's idea for more.
Click on name name to see!

BELIEVE!

Freakmom said...

Violet used to love Fetch, then our local PBS station took it off. I'll have to look and see if it is back or if the episodes are on DVD yet. I'd forgotten about that great show.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails