Monday, February 02, 2015

Trying to prioritize and set goals.

Trying to prioritize and set goals is hard for me and I think sometimes that it must be hard for everyone.  I don't know.  I wrote a list of things I need to do and numbered them and then did the first one first, but it's only 10:00 a.m. and I'm already a little off-track blogging instead of doing the second thing on the list.  Oh well, I'll get back there is a minute.

Meanwhile, I have a couple of things to share.  One is kind of regarding lists and resolutions and self-discipline.  I'm reading this book called Willpower by Baumeister and Tierney.    It's fascinating stuff  They say that we only have a limited amount of willpower and if we use it up without recharging, we get reckless.  It really explains a lot.  At one point they are talking about New Years Resolutions and how, if you make a bunch of them, they all compete with each other for your willpower.  "each time you try to follow one, you decrease your capacity for all the others".  Hmm.  It even talks about how things like trying to be stoic during a sad movie can drain your willpower, making you vulnerable later to doing impulsive things.  This may explain why shy people feel so drained after parties, trying to act sociable is such a strain to the willpower.  Anyway, I'm fascinated and will try to work in some reading time today. Later on in the book they promise techniques for getting around this.

I've got a training for work I need to do, grocery and a few other things and I am going to get some paint and Spackle to work on mom's house a little, to help make it more attractive to buyers.  I survived the 5th anniversary of my Dad passing away this weekend and also his birthday, since he died one day before his 80th birthday.  :-(  It does get easier, but it never goes away.

Finally, today, I'll share an 'I almost typed this" transcription funny.  I caught it.  I don't want to think about the ones I don't catch sometimes in my haste .... :-)

"The patient has relationship difficulties with pears."  Pears, was quickly changed to peers, but not before I got a good laugh out of it!

Have a great day everyone!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails