Monday, April 08, 2013

This and that, Sunday and Monday.

We had a pretty good day yesterday.  We caught a ride to church with my cousin.  Then when we got home, I made lasagna for lunch.  (I've gotten really good at the gluten free lasagna).  Then I started working on a jam cake for my mom's birthday party.  Tomorrow is mom's 76th birthday.  It was my first ever jam cake and I made it from scratch because usually we start with a spice cake mix, but I can't do that because I wanted to eat some of it and I am gluten free.   It turned out to be pretty good, but a little too moist in my opinion. (which didn't stop me from having it for breakfast today!) I'll try next time with less butter.  Jam cake is my mom's favorite cake, so it's worth trying again.  For mom's birthday supper I made potato soup and despite my complete inability to follow a recipe, it turned out pretty well.  I'll try that again.  I did write my changes on the recipe, so hopefully, I'll be able to get very close to that the next time.  :-)   We had a very nice small family gathering to celebrate mom's birthday. 

Later on, we made the girl try on 5 prom dresses that were loaned to us by a friend.  Two of them are just gorgeous on her, but of course, the girl does not like them.  She is extremely picky about her clothes.  I remember a few years ago, taking her to JC Penney and she was going through the clothes, dismissing them without even trying them, on, going through the racks saying "sleeves", "pink", "flowers", etc. as a reason to reject them.  We once walked all the way through Limited Too without her liking even one single article of clothing enough to try one of them on.  We've done the same with many. many other stores.  I am not looking forward to prom shopping at all.  A part of me, just wants to say pick one of these 5 dresses or else, but what if this turns out to be her only prom ever and all she remembers is 'mom made me wear this green dress and I hated it."  What is a mom to do?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails