Saturday, February 28, 2009

Books and things.

I've downloaded a couple of audio books from our state's digital library.  I'm very excited to be able to do that.  If you are in Kentucky, the site is here.  You'll have to have a library card with a PIN number.  I set my PIN up at my library a long time ago so that I could put books on hold or renew them online.  If you are in another state or another country, ask your local library or do a search for virtual libraries or digital libraries.  I've also been reading Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, through Daily Lit.   They email a small section to me each day.  It seems like I've been reading it for a long, long time.  I guess it's been about 3 weeks?  Anyway, I'm about ready to give up and rent the movie!  I have collected a couple of good quotes from it though.  Here are my 2 favorites so far.

The first one is about marriage and made me smile:
"Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance. If the dispositions of the parties are ever so well known to each other or ever so similar beforehand, it does not advance their felicity in the least. They always continue to grow sufficiently unlike afterwards to have their share of vexation; and it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are to pass your life." 

The second was on how to deal with 2 friends who do not like each other or don't get along.  It's very good advice, I think.

"Nothing remained therefore to be done, but to think well of them both, to defend the conduct of each, and throw into the account of accident or mistake whatever could not be otherwise explained."

The library didn't have the movie today or I would've gotten it.  So for now, I'll keep reading it.

1 comment:

Miekie said...

I love your blog! The sh spelling is so cute! Good idea! Don't get the movie of Pride and Prejudice! The book is much better! How are your exercise and other routines coming along? Good luck with your homeschool. Have a great day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails