Thursday, March 02, 2006

In Search Of ...

Okay, I haven't lost anything today (yet!) but I have noticed in my reading that a lot of homeschoolers are in search of the the perfect schedule and the perfect curriculum. Of course we know that perfection isn't possible, that doesn't keep us from trying to find it. I wrote a schedule yesterday. I needed to expand my block schedule to 2 weeks and add in some things that we've just started doing and some things that we just weren't getting done. I had been putting it off for days and finally, I just thought 'it can't be perfect, just do it!' I wrote at the top of the page "Schedule - not perfect" and somehow that freed me to just plug all that stuff in there and not worry if it was the 'best' time for it or not. And now it is done. It is in pencil so it can be changed if necessary, but I think I'm just going to follow it to the best of my ability, not perfectly, and just see how it works.

Now if I can only find the perfect math curriculum ...

6 comments:

Junosmom said...

It is difficult. The problem with the "perfect" anything is that the world isn't static. What is perfect one day, doesn't work the next because things have changed, the student changed, your life changed. Thank Goodness we have the latitude as hs'ers to be flexible and adjust to the changes.

Mama Heffalump said...

Let me knoe if you find the perfect math curriculum... I'm looking for it too! *LOL*

Fatcat said...

I'm looking at Developmental Math and the Key To curriculums. I've bought little cheap workbooks and been disappointed.

Mama Heffalump said...

Looks like I need a spelling class too! *Ack*

We have been using MCP math... it's good... wondering if there is something better out there... *Searching*

shadowlands said...

After trying several math curriculi, I've settled on the Key To Series (Miquon Math for younger ones). I feel it really is the best out there (but that also depends on the learning style of your child). Some children really require rote learning, and those children do well with Saxon Math. My children tend to be very artistic, abstract thinkers so Key To very much suits them. They also have blossomed with the self-pacing nature of the curriculum. (And I have to admit that I am thrilled with the relatively inexpensive - as compared to other curriculi -cost of it) My middle daughter (who insisted that she was no good at math) finished the decimals, fractions and percents entire sets in about half a year. She loved being able to just work her way through it at her own pace. She's nearly done with Geometry now and chomping at the bit to start Algebra. And, I'll have to say that I was fairly panicked about teaching my oldest Algebra, having never taken it in high school or college. But the explanations were so very good that when she would have difficulty, I could understand the concept very well and explain it to her, just by reading through the lesson. Hope this helps! I got my first set of Key To used from another homeschooler, to try it out - I only had to erase a few pages.

Fatcat said...

Thanks for your comments about "Key to" We got it and love it! My son did 45 pages the first day, 1 complete book!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails