Friday, November 11, 2005

KONOS

The curriculum I use is called KONOS. There are some sample pages on line at the KONOS web site. . What I like is all of the innovative things that they list to do right in your own home. This curriculum was written by homeschoolers for homeschoolers and I love that about it. There have been several activities that I just thought wouldn't work, but they did. For example, there was an activity in there for a child to dress up as Abe Lincoln and recite the Gettysburg address. Now I did not think this would go over with my kids. I read the description of the activity with them and asked if any of them wanted to do it. My daughter said that she would. So, I went to the computer and printed out a copy of the text of the Gettysburg address and my daughter went into her room and got a trampoline and some exercise mats, stacked them up so she could stand on them, on top of the trampoline so she would be "very tall" and taped some of her long hair under her chin like a beard. Then, she read the Gettysburg address with great drama and style. We'll never forget that. If it ever comes up on a test, we are all going to have a mental picture for that one for sure!

KONOs does involve some work for me in that I had to look up a copy of the Gettysburg address. I don't have a set of encylopedias so I used the computer. Yesterday, when I was teaching about skin, I had to have a picture of skin layers for my oldest son to look at and sketch and some facts about skin to read. I didn't find a book on skin at the library so I used Edhelper.. You can see that the teacher has to do some prep work on some things, but other things the kids do the prep work.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are a natural at homeschooling, to be able to pull a curriculum like Konos together your first year! I love, love, love the idea of it, but I just can't get it all together to make it work for us. Oh well, somebody's got to kep the packaged stuff like Sonlight in business. :-)

Fatcat said...

I don't think I could do KONOS if I had to do as much documentation for the state as you do. Too much record keeping!

Perri said...

I will never think of the Gettysburg address the same again. Great imagination. I made salmon patties the other night and when I opened up the salmon (hope you know what I am talking about) I thought about how I would have to show the bones and skeleton in there to the kids when we get to that part. If you don't know what I'm talking about, buy salmon, slide it out of the can and pull it apart right in the middle. There is a perfect vetebrae and ribs there.

Fatcat said...

Good idea Perri, I may do that. I don't like to eat it but my husband does, and we can study the bones.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails