Friday, October 20, 2017

Trying to settle in.

I'm trying to settle into my new normal as a working outside the home person and not only outside the home, but a 45-minute drive and, it turns out, then a 15-20 minute walk from home.  As you may remember, a year or so ago, I turned down a job stocking the bread at walmart because I couldn't do all the walking and standing, and looked instead for a sedentary job.  I found one, but the parking garage is 3 1/2 blocks away.  To some people, I know that seems like nothing, but to me with my osteoarthritis, it seems like a long way.  I can do it.  I did it yesterday and yes, it hurt my knees, but then the rest of the day I'm sitting, so I don't know ... it might be a good thing.  If I decide it is too much or if I just want to save that time everyday, I can probably get a note from my rheumatologist that would allow me to park in one of the closer parking garages.  I've been doing orientation and going through computer training modules, getting a tour, meeting everyone, looking over the types of reports I will be doing and studying computer manuals (a little) but I don't have a log-in ID yet so I can't log in and start actually doing the work.  I was supposed to get to log in yesterday and start, but the ID didn't come through so I got today off.   Today I'll find out my schedule for next week.  I did learn yesterday that this department of the hospital is closed on holidays, so bonus!   I think I'm going to mostly like the job.  There are going to be difficult things to type like autopsies but I have done those before, so I guess I'll be able to do it.  We haven't eaten quite as well this week or had as clean of a house as usual, but it's fine.

Youngest son is continuing to do well in school.  He had a history test this week and knew it would take a long time, so he went to his writing professor and told him that he would be late for writing class due to his ADA accomodations and the other class going over, so he wouldn't be counted as tardy.  It's manageable with the accomodations but he does have to let the professors know about things like this.  He's doing what he needs to do and it's great.

Daughter is still working at the preschool and doing well with it.  She has more hours than last year, but seems to be managing it fine.  The other day she and the children walked into their other building and there was a snake under the art table.  She handled it well, getting all the kids back outside and calling building maintenance.   Adulthood!  She's working on her stern voices that she needs to use sometimes and is doing well with that.  She still works on writing her book, crocheting and knitting and doing art in her spare time that's not taken up with work and playing Dungeons and Dragons which she and her younger brother do a couple of times a week.

Oldest son and his wife are still working at Amazon.  The mostly like it.  Daughter-in-law has been having some trouble with her shoulder and may have to change to a different job.  They are tougher than me, for sure, standing on their feet for 10 hours at a time.

My husband still works with software at the same place he's been for a while.  I think he's relatively happy there.  We've finally got enough vehicles going all at once so that everyone can get to where they need to be each day, but I'm not happy, getting stuck with the one that no one else wants to drive and seriously regretting that I ever learned to drive a stick shift.  :-P

Anyway, that's what's going on with us now.  I'll look on my phone and see if I have any good pictures to share for this week.   Now that we're not homeschooling, this blog is about our lives with a little bit of post-homeschooling/disablity/college stuff thrown in.  I appreciate that some of you are still reading.  Over the years, I have enjoyed going back and looking at the blog to see when our family did what and enjoying the memories, so even if no one reads, I'll probably still blog for us.

Have a great day everyone!
Remus got a haircut this week and looks like a different dog.  He's learning to deal with the paparazzi here at our house, taking pictures of him every day.  :-) 

Cosmo is used to the paparazzi at this point and bored with it.  Hey, trying to take a nap here.  

Freckles sometimes adopts dramatic poses in the hopes that someone will take her picture.  We always fall for it.
I took this sunset shot through the window of the place the kids were playing Dungeons and Dragons the other night.  I had forgotten my book and was bored, but isn't it pretty?  


I won some gaming dice in a contest on Facebook.  Aren't they pretty?  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails