Friday, September 29, 2017

Job craziness and other updates.

I've been job hunting for a year and a half and it's been kind of a pain.  I wanted to say tough, but it hasn't been really tough.  I'm not the major wage earner in our household so the pressure is not as great as it would be if my husband didn't have a good job.  Still, it's been a little hard on my ego and I've wanted to quit several times.  Last Thursday, I got offered a job.  It was at a nursing home, working as a receptionist.  I was very excited about it and my daughter and I did a happy, happy dance.  Then, 5 minutes later (what are the odds?), I got a notice that another company wanted to interview me, for work as a transcriptionist, paying a lot more, with no weekend hours and no early morning hours.  I had to do the interview.  It went well and I was offered that job on Wednesday of this week.  I immediately started trying to contact the person I had interviewed with for the first job to let her know but I could not reach her by phone. I called 7 times over 3 days.  (I don't enjoy making phone calls, but much less to give disappointing news.  They were excited to have finally found someone to work that position).  Finally, today in desperation, not wanting to go through the weekend with the prospect of having to make that uncomfortable phone call on Monday, I emailed her and she got right back to me, wishing me well in the new job.  I hate that it worked out that way, that I had to go through with all the onboarding tasks for the one company while secretly hoping the other company would call.  I don't know why I can't simply get a job with no drama!  But, anyway, I have been offered a job.  Assuming my drug screen and my crime check go through, I will start on the 16th of October.  It's good timing for that because my daughter is on fall break the next two weeks and maybe we can get some things done to the house and maybe we can go and do some fun things.  I wish everyone in our family got fall break.  :-)

College is still going well for our current student.  He had another history test this week and thinks that it went well.  He emailed his answers to himself so I was able to read them and I think he did well too, except for some grammar and punctuation issues.  We'll see pretty soon, I guess.  He also talked with his math teacher a bit, to show her that he had the answer but had some trouble with the steps to get to it, but he did not, as far as I can tell, explain his disability to her.  It's progress I guess?  The rest of the updates for this past couple of weeks will be in pictures.

Cosmo, Remus and Freckles.  I've been doggy-sitting Remus while my son and his wife are at work.  

Cosmo getting between my daughter and her book.  

My brother-in-law got married and we got to go and then went to a nice restaurant that believes that this is a serving of ice cream cake for ONE PERSON! 

Duncan and Squinch.  I just love taking pictures of them because they are cute.

Oldest son turned 25 this week and his lovely wife cooked him, and us, this lovely dinner.  Burgers with pepper jack, barbecue sauce, fried onions and mushrooms with loaded mashed potatoes.  Yummy.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails