Sunday, February 05, 2017

The Reading Challenge.

The 2 kids who live here decided to challenge themselves to read more this year.  They want to read at least 1 book every 2 weeks and audio books count.  Mangas which are short and are read very quickly count differently -- you have to read 10 of them to count as one novel.  These are the kids rules and it's their challenge, but I decided to join in.  I'd like to read 50 books this year.  I don't think that's a crazy amount for me.  The main difference for me is that I will be keeping up with what I read.  I wish I had always done it so I had a list of every book I'd ever read.  Wouldn't that be fun?  Oh well, anyway, I can start now.  It's like that Chinese proverb --"The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.  The second best time is now. " So, I'm starting now.

Here's what I've read so far this year.

Pearl in the Sand by Tessa Afshar   My review:  I enjoyed this and would like to read more by this author.  I don't think I'd want to read it over and over again as I do some.  :-)
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins  My review:  Pretty good.  The fact that the main character has a drinking problem and sometimes doesn't know what she has been doing really adds a depth to the mystery.
Fever Crumb by Phillip Reeve  My review: This was a second reading.  It's okay.  It's actually a children's book, one of the prequels to the Hungry City Chronicles, which I have read in the past and enjoyed.  The reason I chose this one was that we hadn'd gone to the library and it was here at home on our own bookshelf.  I may read the HCC books again at some point.
Born a Crime by Trevor Noah  This was pretty fascinating, a look into South African culture.  I would recommend it.

I may have to throw some shorter ones in there to get the 50 I am challenging myself to read this year but we'll finish the audio book we are listening to together tonight and I can count that one.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails