Thursday, March 10, 2016

Unschooling the rest.

In our family, the style of our homeschooling has changed a lot over the past 12 years.  We started out with a 6th grader, a 3rd grader and a 1st grader.  When we started out, I got math and some kind of language arts for everyone individually, and we did unit studies for the rest of the subjects.  I practiced a lot of strewing, where I would go to the library and get a ton of nonfiction children's books on whatever subject we were studying and then would just put them someplace, on a table, but not require the kids to read them.  Pretty soon, here they would come, with a book open, to show me something cool.  Youngest son, our last homeschooler, still does this but he checks his own books out of the library, tons and tons of them and then comes to show me or read to me the coolest/best parts.  Recently, he's read Catcher in the Rye, listened to one of Shakespeare's plays on an audio book and right now he's reading an obscure book of poetry by J. R. R. Tolkien that I had not heard of and keeps coming to read me snippets of it while I work.  He's now the kind of person who will always be learning, interested in everything.   It's fun just to talk to him.  What we do now is very similar to how we started out, hitting the basics with curriculum sources and instead of doing mom-led unit studies and strewing for the rest of it, letting him unschool himself and he does this pretty much every waking moment.  We joke that he is like that robot on that old movie (Short Circuit) that needed more input all the time.

 Unrelated, to the above, but do you see the resemblance between Cosmo and Sam Sheepdog?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails