Thursday, May 06, 2010

Are we done yet?

This time of year whenever homeschool moms and kids get together, you always hear the question "How many days do you have left?" That seems to be what's on everyone's mind at this time. Personally, we're aiming for June 4. However, we won't completely stop educational activities in the summer, just the booky ones. We've got some field trip type things to do this summer with our homeschool groups. We'll spend a couple of days at the state fair. But for the ordinary summer weeks, we are going to do an small adventure list. I was inspired by my own list on my blog a few weeks back, about what I wish we did more of, when I created this list. I sincerely hope that my oldest son regains the use of his ankle pretty quickly so he can join us on these. He goes back to see the doctor on the 17th of this month. After that, I hope my doctor visit schedule eases up some.

So, here's our summer adventure list thus far. We are going to put things in a jar, and pull one out at least a couple of days a week. We may have to sort them by length of time required, depending on my schedule. Some of these are going to require some planning, like fishing, because we don't own fishing poles ... and if we can't borrow them, we'll have to scrap it. Dad will also have to participate in that one. (Mom's squeamish!)

Camp somewhere. (This could include the living room.)
Go feed fish (at large local pond).
Go feed ducks at the lake.
Go for a walk someplace we've never walked.
Rent a movie from Redbox.
Get a pizza. (This may not seem special to anyone else, but we almost never do it. Of course mom won't be able to partake, but that's okay!)
Play a board game (or 4)
Go wade in the creek.
Do a science experiment from one of our books that looks fun.
Make s'mores.
Go to a park.
Go to a movie.
Make alka seltzer rockets.
Water balloons.
Visit local museum or landmark.
Visit local state park.
Look through the telescope.
Go fishing.
Make giant bubbles.
Sidewalk chalk art.
Eat dinner outside on the deck.

Addendum: I realized on my way over to Mom's house, that I had forgotten to put any community service things on the list and then I came home and had a request in my email box for children's books to be donated to the health department so we will add that and some other community service projects to our list.

2 comments:

Freakmom said...

That is a great idea!

p.s. Happy Mother's Day tomorrow!

Carolyn said...

Great ideas and great implementation plan. It reminds me of days I used to place on our "school calendar": Video Day, Book Day (no textbooks, just lots of reading of all types--sometimes it was reading aloud or listening to audio books), Game Day (no screen games!), or Park Day (we would find a new park to explore). Thanks for the reminder. I think we need to build some of these in for our Summer and School Year.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails